You can use a security alarm to prevent unwanted guests from gaining access to your home, but when it comes to termites, they are harder to lock out. Termites are quite proficient when it comes to gaining access to your home. Their number one goal is to find a food source, and there is little that will stop them from attaining that goal.
To prevent termites from invading your space, you have to be proactive, not reactive. There are several steps you can take to prevent termite infestations. Here are 5 ideas from our professional home inspectors.
- Seal all cracks and holes in the foundation of your home. Even the smallest openings may provide convenient access for termites.
- If you keep firewood outside of your home – keep it away from the house and raised off the ground. Firewood is a magnet for termites. Also be sure to inspect the wood before bringing it in.
- Moisture attracts termites. Fix any leaky pipes that may create moisture within the walls of your home or in the basement. Also be sure there is no standing water near your home.
- Remove dead trees, firewood and any other dead wood near your house that can be feeding sources for termites.
- Finally- get a termite inspection annually. The best way to prevent an infestation is to catch it before it starts.
Top Termite Inspection Company in Bergen County
We have extensive training in all aspects of termite and other wood eating insect inspections. Aurora Home Inspections offers an industry leading 100% satisfaction guarantee as well as a free Wood-Destroying Insect 30-Day Warranty.
Termite inspections should not be considered an expense. They are an investment. An infestation can cause a homeowner thousands of dollars in expenses. Termites eat 24 hours a day and can consume nearly a pound of wood each week. They can structurally destroy a home, eat sub floors, walls, etc.
To schedule your next home inspection, call us at (201) 654-6505.