Switch To CFL Bulbs To Reduce Energy Costs
Compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) have made their way into the mainstream after being invented in the 1970’s as a result of the energy crisis. However, due to a bit of a rocky history, consumers have been slow to get on the wagon. Many of the early versions of CFL bulbs had a delay in reaching full brightness and gave off a cold looking light. But advances in manufacturing and design have eliminated these issues and offer a tradition warm light for a more homey feel. The best part of CFL bulbs are their energy saving abilities. Here is why you should switch to CFL bulbs to reduce energy costs.
Benefits Of CFL Bulbs
- Choosing a CFL with an Energy Star label will generally save you over $30 in electricity costs over the lifetime of the light bulb compared with an incandescent lightbulb over the same time period. CFL will pay for itself within 6 months.
- CFL bulbs typically last for 5-9 years, which is 10 times the average lifespan of an incandescent light bulb.
- CFL bulbs come with a 2 year warranty. So you do not need to worry if you get a bad one.
- While CFL bulbs are more expensive upfront, they are a long term money saver.
Where Not To Use CFL Bulbs
There are some places where a CFL bulb does not make sense and will not save you money. Anything other than standard lighting fixtures, digital timers, motion sensors, dimmer switches should be looked at and verified for use before hand. The packaging on the particular CFL bulb should advise you of compatibility. The same goes for outdoor and enclosed fixtures. You may also want to avoid use in fixtures that are turned on and off frequently, and areas that are subject to extreme temperatures, For those areas you will want weatherproof bulbs.
For more energy savings tips and an inspection of your home in NJ and NY contact Aurora Home Inspections in Bergen County, NJ.
We are Licensed and Certified Inspection experts who inspect homes, condos, townhouses and apartments.
We can provide inspections for the following:
- Residential Buyer Inspections
- Pre Listing Inspections for sellers
- Commercial Inspections
- Radon testing
- Wood Destroying Insect testing
- Mold testing
- Indoor Air Quality testing
- VOC testing
- 11th month warranty inspection